Saturday, July 12, 2014

Museum of Jurassic Technology



Roof Top Garden
Wanting to explore Los Angeles more, I was excited to come across a fascinating museum called The Museum of Jurassic Technology, in a tour guide book.  As I looked at reviews, which varied from “absolutely delightful” to “confusing & creepy”, I was instantly convinced that I had to see for myself what the oddity was with this museum that has been around since 1988.  A review on Yelp explains the museum as such: This odd "museum" is worth seeing at least once.  The entire building can best be described as a single modern art installation -- an oddly disturbing rendition of a madman's visualization of a historical museum.  Faux-serious in every aspect, but completely entertaining.  You'll be talking about it for hours afterwards."

The entrance to the museum is so quant and cute.  It’s an old house that kind of reminded us of Amsterdam homes.  It was a lot smaller than I expected, but very cute and invoked curiosity upon entering the front door.   After paying, we walked in the exhibit with anxiousness and were confused right away.  The exhibits were interesting, but one had nothing to do with the next.  The small trailer park models and the movie with no plot made me feel like I was in a twilight zone. It caused our minds to pause and question reality – which is one reason why we go to museums, to stretch our minds.  One of my favorite parts of the museum was an exhibit by Henry Harold Dalton called Micromosiacs.  This artist created microsope slides of beautiful scenes, created entirely with scales of butterfly wings.  It was simply amazing to see his work and learn how he made the slides in 1829.  My other favorite part of the museum is a tea room deck on the top floor.  After completing the museum, you can sit outside in a beautiful rooftop garden and enjoy complimentary hot tea.  It was a peaceful and enjoyable way to end the museum visit.
Entrance to Museum of Jurassic Technoloy

Going to this museum with no perceived ideas allowed us to really enjoy what it had to offer.  We definitely were talking about the oddities of this museum for several hours.  After the museum, we walked a couple blocks to a street lined with restaurants, and found Public School 310, which looked fun and had outdoor seating.   We really enjoyed happy hour here, the pub food, the ambiance and sharing a table with other patrons.  We ended up spending just over three hours at the restaurant chatting and cracking up about the museum.   It was a very fun day in LA with my number one!   It’s bizarre that I found this museum in a guide book intended for people who are visiting Los Angeles for vacation.  As I mentioned in a prior post, I am yearning to explore LA more often.  After this outing I am even more excited to see what “tourist” things are available in our own backyard.

P.s - Photos and cell phone were not allowed to be used at the property.  Signs were posted everywhere!  But, I was determined to take some photos since it was just so pretty.  I have to say that all the photos in this blog were by me and my nervously shaking hand...I'm pretty proud :)
  
 I was able to snap a quick photo of the staircase to the rooftop garden
Roof Top Garden Entrance
Peaceful and Tranquil Garden
...more of the garden...
Enjoying my hot tea
Beautiful white doves adorned the garden
I love how peaceful this is. I just wanted to do yoga right there!
Snapping quick photo of us before we get caught.  No photos allowed!
Public School 310 for dinner & drinks after museum
Table bottle water feels so European.  Love this pub feel.
Favorite food at Public School 310. Ahi Tacos. $6. FANTASTIC!

No comments:

Post a Comment