Saturday, June 7, 2014

Three meals in three different countries for my birthday!



After spending 11 wonderful nights on the French side of Saint Martin, it was time to depart the island for home.  We were traveling home on my actual birthday and tried to find the fun parts of celebrating my birthday while spending 10 hours in an airplane and a two hour layover in New York.   We were excited to get home to see our dogs, but were pretty sad to leave this island which we became so acquainted with.  One of our favorite parts of the trip was the food.  Not just the wide array of French ingredients, but the simplicity of French cuisine and the process taken to shop, prep and enjoy the ingredients.  If you have ever been to Europe, they tend to have a romantic relationship with their food…I just love this different way of thinking.  
 
As it was our last day, we tried to empty the fridge and enjoy our last meals on the island. 

7am EST 6/6/14 – Oyster Bay (French Antilles) The day of our departure, we woke up to a beautiful sunrise, and then got started on packing.  For breakfast, we enjoyed pineapple and bananas that we had purchased from a local stand and finished bread that we had purchased fresh from the local market.  Breakfast in France to start off my birthday…


11:30am EST 6/6/14 – Simpson Bay (Netherlands) We arrived to the airport in about two and a half hours early, so we decided to have lunch and some drinks at the bar.  We ordered a hamburger and fries to share.  The burger was huge and had prosciutto!!!  It was delicious and fitting, since we enjoyed so much prosciutto on this trip.

6:00pm EST 6/6/14 – New York (USA) After arriving at JFK in New York, we were hoping to find a pizza place that possibly had New York pizza.  It wasn’t the official NYC pizza, but we found a takeout place that had pizza…with prosciutto! Sounded good, fit our theme and we were craving cheesy pizza. 

Three meals in three different countries made me smile.  I wished I had realized beforehand that we would be spending time in three countries…we could have toasted Champagne and documented with photos.  Anyhow, my husband made sure to say Happy Birthday to me throughout the day.  Around noon, after a drink, I realized that he had said happy birthday to me in France and in the Netherlands. Plus, we still had to fly to USA.   So, that would be the third country that we visited, in one day that he could wish me a happy birthday.  I thought it was super cool and thanked him for “taking” me to three countries for my birthday.   It was a very cool way to spend my birthday.  Three meals, three kisses and three “Happy Birthday’s” shared in three different countries, all in one day.  I could get use to this!

Celebrating our last day in St Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment